Many golf beginners wonder if they really need a golf rangefinder. Isn’t this device for experienced golfers only? Well, it is far from being the truth. Both beginners and seasoned players alike need the help of this modern device to measure the exact distance between them and their target points. Get one and enjoy the benefit of the best golf rangefinder in helping you become a better and faster player. You may find the following guide and tips useful in getting and in using the device.
1. Legal use
It is necessary to know if it is legal to use golf rangefinders. The answer is: it depends. Golfers are allowed to use these devices and note down information during practice around. During the golf rounds, under the revised Rule 14-4 of USGA (which stands for the United State Golf Association) in 2006, the permit for using distance measuring devices depend on the local course rule. From 2014 onwards, golf rangefinders are permitted in amateur events.
Take note that the type of rangefinder to use during a professional golf course should be a tournament edition rangefinder that does not extra measurements and features.
Golf rangefinders are available in two main types: laser and GPS golf rangefinders. In addition, there are GPS applications that can be downloaded and installed on iPhone or iPad.
Laser rangefinders are very accurate and therefore quite costly. They, however do not show the distance of the green area nor work effectively with targets behind trees. While not as accurate, GPS rangefinders prove to be better choice in reading the distance of the green areas and are less expensive. Their batteries require charging frequently, though.
3. Buying Guide
This part will walk you through the main factor to consider in buying golf rangefinders:
- Accuracy and ease of use
This is no doubt the most important factor. Test the device to see if it provides you with accurate data; otherwise, return it right away. The data must be clearly displayed and easily readable.
- Distance range
Chances are that you do not really need a device with 1500 yards in distance range. Still, pay proper attention to the minimum and maximum distance range for reliable shots.
Magnification levels for golf rangefinder are from 0-7. It is up to you to select the level that you find most suitable in helping you hit the target with great precision.
- Size and weight
The size and weight of the device will affect how comfortable it is for you when you hold it in your hand. It should not be too small or too big, too heavy or too lightweight.
- Durability and waterproofness
The device is used in the golf course so you do not want your device ruined by poor weather conditions (like fog and rain) and affect your performance, which can be very frustrating. Since it is for outside use, it must be durable; stay away from device that can be damaged after failing just once onto the ground. You can invest in a good case to store the device.
- Battery Life
The longer the battery life, the more convenient it is for you.
- Slope Measurement
This is an exclusive feature, meaning you cannot find it in just any model. This feature is banned in tournaments for now but it is handy for round practices and in amateur events.
It is simple: Set your budget and stick to it.
4. Using Tips
- Test it first: before using it in the golf round, you should test it first to see if it works well and get the hang of using it. Start with large objects first.
- Try it at practice game: you do not want to show up at professional game not knowing what to do with your rangefinder. It can cost you scores. How about testing the device at practice games where you do not have to be worry about competition. You can take time calculating the distance properly. Gradually, you will master using the device and gain confidence.
- Be patient: you cannot expect to get consistent reading and use the data to determine the distance 100% correct right from the start. Be ready to make some miscalculations at first before you can use the device with ease.
- Do not be over-dependent on the device: what if your device malfunctions in the middle of an important round? If you rely on it too much, it can be a big distraction for you. It is best to be prepared and do proper research of the location and golf course: it will help you use the device’s reading even more efficiently.